Andreas Jungherr, a professor at the University of Konstanz, summarizes existing research on how Twitter is used in election campaigns.
- Twitter is not a dialogue-enabling tool.
- Social media has (mostly) not change power dynamics between parties and candidates.
- Active Twitter use does not imply electoral success.
- Key moments during campaigns can be identified by volume shifts.
- Vocal users are not representative!
The findings are summarized in Table 4 of the paper:
Andreas Jungherr (2016) Twitter use in election campaigns: A
systematic literature review, Journal of Information Technology & Politics, 13:1