A few facts about the Chinese equity market:
- Since 2000, the market dropped by 5% (or more) on exactly 42 days.
- Two of those trading days happened this year (as of January 8, 2016).
- 29% of the "very bad days" (12 out of 42) occurred in 2015.
- With 14 steep daily declines, 2008 was the toughest year - but that year also saw 8 large daily price increases.
- 2015 wasn't actually all bad: on three different days, stock prices rose by 5 or more percent.
- Between 2000 and early 2016, stock prices rose by at least five percent on 21 different days.
Here is an extended version of the chart I posted on the Peterson Institute website: